Tuesday 16 February 2010

Eclipse of the Laban

Though I've always had reservations about the perspex-like cladding on the Laban - it reminds me of document folders that Rymans used to sell back in the 80s - there's no doubt that it stands out pretty proudly when viewed from the Ha'penny Hatch.This was how it looked about 6 months ago (summer 09) - the blues still form a link between sky and water. But I took stock of the view again yesterday (Feb 10) and the view has changed dramatically.
Ok, fair enough, it's a greyer, murkier day and it's not taken from exactly the same spot but the Laban's lines no longer reach the sky, instead they hit the grey-green cladding of the Creekside Village behind it. And it's still going up. It's beginning to look like a squat box dominated by the apartments of the ''village,'' and the Laban will get smaller and more insignificant as this goes on.

That's not the reason I had a camera with me on the Hatch: I'd brought it with me to photograph a periscope that some visual comedian has installed just on the Greenwich bank, west of the bridge. There is also a black binliner in an improvised holder attached to a post with cable ties and there were 3 clumps of artificial flowers that had disappeared the previous night. I have visions of a night carouser drunkenly presenting his girlfriend with a Valentine's day bouquet that night who is now walking with a very definite limp...
I tried taking a photo of what you can see through it but as I didn't have my glasses on I didn't notice that the camera's settings had got changed. So all you can see is that light does pass through it and it looks a little like a tunnel
I have absolutely no idea what linked the periscope, the bin plus liner and the plastic flowers - apart, of course, from the people who put them there. Curiously, the last person I bumped into and had a quick chat with on the hatch is called Perry.

Anyhow, here's an old view of the railway bridge and the hatch from an altogether different era

5 comments:

Deptford Dame said...

I find that view of the new development one of the most depressing. Thanks for the old picture of the rail bridge, very interesting!

Deptford Dame said...

I find that view of the new development one of the most depressing. Thanks for the old picture of the rail bridge, very interesting!

CarolineLD said...

Depressing indeed. But thank you for the document folder comparison - that's exactly what the cladding is like!

Marmoset said...

''But thank you for the document folder comparison - that's exactly what the cladding is like!''

So you remember them too! It made me think of Filofaxes - they were de rigueur for ages but now obsolete - from everywhere to nowhere...

Deptford dame said...

I still use my Filofax almost every day! Bought in 1989, the leather is beautifully worn and has a real homely feel to it!