Monday 9 November 2009

Ha'penny Hatch gets a service

After a lazy stroll into the kitchen for the morning pot of tea this morning, I looked out of the window and saw the footbridge had been lifted. I've never seen it up since they built it. In the time it took me to find my camera and open the front door it had been lowered again - surprisingly quickly, though finding anything in here is never a quick job. Anyhow, I managed to grab this image.Seconds later it was almost back to normal:


And just a couple of seconds later, after a posse of hi-vizened engineers wandered up and had a leisurely peek about the place, everything returned to normal again. Even the guy who, at a guess, isn't allowed to practise his drums indoors made an afternoon reappearance, serenading pedestrians with his snare drum paradiddles.

3 comments:

RC said...

Great pic of the drummer.

Deptford dame said...

Is the drummer there often? I'm pretty sure I've seen him setting up once. I thought he was part of the festival....

As for the bridge, it's probably the first time that's been lifted since it was commissioned!

Marmoset said...

Morning, co-Deptfordee, yes he's around fairly often, mostly in the evenings but he comes out in the daytime as well. I've never spoken to him, only got as far as a nod and a smile, but I just assumed that he's found a place where he doesn't bother his neighbours. I've met brass players who would drive from Sheffield onto the moors just so they could practice in peace.

It's the first time I've ever seen it up and I overlook it. That said, I can see Flamsteed House from here and in 20 years I've never seen the daily timeball dropping, so maybe they have been out playing with it before. It surprised me just how quick it was to lower the bridge though.